DJ Angencies

Barrington2K

• CTW Members

Hi All....

Can anyone please recomend any good DJ angencies which cater for up & coming / new talent?

Ones who take a commision and actually want to get you bookings rather than the ones who want just want all your cash upfront and do nothing for you!

Cheers!

• CTW Members

I saw you post the same thing on HarderFaster.

Are you looking for someone to get gigs for you? Are you an established DJ and/or do you have any tunes to your name?

If not, you gotta ask yourself why an agency would want to sign you.

• CTW DJs
QUOTE (Barrington2K @ Dec 15 2004, 11:30)
Ones who take a commision and actually want to get you bookings rather than the ones who want just want all your cash upfront and do nothing for you!

they do not exist for upcoming djs im afraid... unless your playing an insane amount of gigs (ie, AT LEAST twice a week) then they will do very little to actually help you as its simply an extra cost and more hassle for promoters to deal with

Coming soon...

4th March 2006, VALVE SOUNDSYSTEM @ Sheffield Uni with Pendulum, Roni Size, Dillinja, Sub Focus and more!!!

• CTW Members
QUOTE (Chris Hutchinson @ Dec 15 2004, 12:43)
QUOTE (Barrington2K @ Dec 15 2004, 11:30)

they do not exist for upcoming djs im afraid... unless your playing an insane amount of gigs (ie, AT LEAST twice a week) then they will do very little to actually help you as its simply an extra cost and more hassle for promoters to deal with

But we all have to start somewhere?

• CTW Members
QUOTE (Barrington2K @ Dec 15 2004, 15:44)

Well an agency ain't gonna do it for you mate. Every bugger wants to be a DJ these days; unless lots of people have heard of you, you've got to ask yourself why an agency would choose you over somebody else?

If you want gigs, your best bet is to promote your own parties, or get some tunes under your belt and get a name for yourself that way.

Do you make your own music?

• CTW Promotors
QUOTE (LiquidEyes @ Dec 15 2004, 15:50)

If you want gigs, your best bet is to promote your own parties, or get some tunes under your belt and get a name for yourself that way.

even that dont guarantee ought LE!! Promotions like djs & producers are two a penny these days & everyone is doing it.

Techno, Techno, Techno

• CTW Members
QUOTE (Lisa @ Dec 15 2004, 15:58)

even that dont guarantee ought LE!! Promotions like djs & producers are two a penny these days & everyone is doing it.

I agree....

You just have to be in the right place at the right time OR know the right people...

Unless of course your lucky enough to come across an event ot organisation whos specifically looking for new talent & wants to give you a break!

• CTW Promotors

I think your best bet is get yourself out there, get your face known to as many people & promoters & make a kinda pain of yourself if you like without being too annoying, get demos out to everyone, promoters & on sites like this & HF to the members asking for feedback on threads so others see it, yadda yadda!! tongue.gif

As you say its not only about talent but who you know & I'l prob get shot for this but at times I swear talent is the last thing needed at some events w00t.gif

Good luck hon thumbsup.gif

Techno, Techno, Techno

• CTW Members
QUOTE (Lisa @ Dec 15 2004, 17:57)
I think your best bet is get yourself out there, get your face known to as many people & promoters & make a kinda pain of yourself if you like without being too annoying, get demos out to everyone, promoters & on sites like this & HF to the members asking for feedback on threads so others see it, yadda yadda!! tongue.gif

As you say its not only about talent but who you know & I'l prob get shot for this but at times I swear talent is the last thing needed at some events w00t.gif

Good luck hon thumbsup.gif

So very true in some cases regarding your talent comment!

• CTW DJs
QUOTE (Lisa @ Dec 15 2004, 15:58)

the idea is though that you promote an event and book djs who run other nights to 'gig-swap'... the world dj day events have helped me a few times in that aspect, even though they are only once a year!

Coming soon...

4th March 2006, VALVE SOUNDSYSTEM @ Sheffield Uni with Pendulum, Roni Size, Dillinja, Sub Focus and more!!!

• CTW DJs
QUOTE (Barrington2K @ Dec 15 2004, 17:19)
You just have to be in the right place at the right time OR know the right people...
Unless of course your lucky enough to come across an event ot organisation whos specifically looking for new talent & wants to give you a break!

not at all (though it does help!)

To get gigs, you need to actually go to the events, meet the promoters and chat (offering to buy em a drink helps cos they wont fuck off straight away lol!)

If someone e-mailed me, or approached me via an agency saying they wanted to play at my night, i would disregard it instantly - it would seem they obviously cant be THAT bothered if they couldnt be arsed to actually come to an event and meet me etc

Now I dont know how much effort you have put into promoting yourself, but too many djs just expect it to all fall into place and that is NEVER the case im afraid

Coming soon...

• CTW DJs

One other bit of advice I will give you is to vary your tracklistings more - im not trying to put you down by this, but your november tracklist is pretty much the same as every mix I have heard over the last few weeks... you will never stand out by being similar to everybody else out there

Easiest way to do this is to dig deep - use stuff thats pre-1998 alongside current stuff! Progression-wise, your mix seems spot on from tracklist which is good - too many djs just bang any old tracks out without thinking so you get a thumbsup.gif from me on that one

Coming soon...

• CTW Members
QUOTE (Chris Hutchinson @ Dec 15 2004, 19:03)
One other bit of advice I will give you is to vary your tracklistings more - im not trying to put you down by this, but your november tracklist is pretty much the same as every mix I have heard over the last few weeks... you will never stand out by being similar to everybody else out there

Easiest way to do this is to dig deep - use stuff thats pre-1998 alongside current stuff! Progression-wise, your mix seems spot on from tracklist which is good - too many djs just bang any old tracks out without thinking so you get a thumbsup.gif from me on that one

Cheers Chris....

Some of the things you said im already aware of and the others are good to take note of too. As for my Nov mix i see the point you were making...

Its not the most original mix mix ive done but to be honest was aimed and done for one specific thing which required a set like that and did pay off....

Although it turned out to be a big dissapointment in the end lol

Some good words notworthy.gif