Guest FredTheBaddie

All you people slagging off course make me laugh. How can you be certain there aren't good courses out there that you can't learn from ?

Andy, you did a degree, how can you not see the value of a decent course ?

• CTW Members

thanks every1, notes taken

I was going to post a gag about flagellation, necrophilia and bestiality but it's just flogging a dead horse.

• CTW Members
On 2/6/2004 at 11:24 AM, Guest FredTheBaddie said:

All you people slagging off course make me laugh. How can you be certain there aren't good courses out there that you can't learn from ?

Andy, you did a degree, how can you not see the value of a decent course ?

i do agree with fred here...

although im looking at this courses not only to learn from them, for for employment references in the future.

i mean why does anyone pay to go to uni, to study..um.. i dunno law, when theres thousands of law sites on the net where they could read - because without the piece of paper saying that you can - its not much good.

the courses i suggested - right ok - their not exactly the best ones to go in if your just wanting to learn - James \ Ben - im sure there loads of recording studios around you area (i know loads in cardiff ben) - might be worth while getting in touch with a few and seeing if u can go there and see how things are done, maybe a possible work experience for ben anyways.

• CTW Members
On 2/6/2004 at 11:24 AM, Guest FredTheBaddie said:

How can you be certain there aren't good courses out there that you can't learn from ?

I'm absolutely certain that you WOULD get some valuable experience from the courses. I did a relatively informal studio type course in my free time while I was at uni, I learnt quite a lot just from a few sessions. And I'm sure a full-on 6 month paid-for course would be a lot more extensive than what I did.

Yeah Ray I did a degree (Computer Science), but what I learnt on my course is negligible compared with what I've learnt from computing as a hobby, and working in IT as a career. I'm not saying it was a waste of time (my CV looks great!) I'm just questioning the "time-and-money" versus "learning benefit" ratio. Put it this way, I wouldn't go to university just for the learning - I did it for the whole life experience. And so I could get a better job.

I'm just pointing out that there are other options if you have that kind of cash spare (or even if you don't). If you feel like you're at a dead-end production wise, certainly consider the other options like:

1. reading loads of good magazines (there are shedloads these days: Future Music, Computer Music, Music Tech...)
  2. find good internet forums like futureproducers.com
  3. books / online tutorials etc.

£2000 buys you a lot of hardware & software these days ... you have to say "teaching yourself" is a good option, unless you actually want a recognised qualification, which I don't think is what Ben is necessarily looking for.

I do believe I could have taught myself everything I did at university (if I'd known which books to buy), although whether I would have been motivated to is another matter... 😄

Who knows though ... point taken Ray ... best to ask someone who has actually been on such a course and see what they say. :smile:

Arguably you can't put a price on learning...

• Like 1

• CTW Members

have found alchemea as a course and it is exactly what im looking for. 9 month full diploma course. Its in Islington, London

30 hrs + a week in the studio and guaranteeing over 1080 hrs in the studio over the course.

Also 90% of students completing the course get a job in the industry within 6 months.

Its expensive but gonna be definitely worth it.

------------

mark do u know any numbers or email addys for studios in cardiff? (I wouldn't know where to go looking). And when can i come down to see urs?

I was going to post a gag about flagellation, necrophilia and bestiality but it's just flogging a dead horse.

• James changed the title to Music Production Courses
  • 11 months later...
  • CTW Admin
On 2/5/2004 at 9:11 PM, Mark said:

James - have you ever looked into the SAE? (School of Audio Egineering) its where im looking to go after i finished college down here, its based in Islington, they do audio engineering, creative media, electronic music production courses and digital film making.

Their also having an open day on Sunday the 15th @ 12 til 17:00

its not cheap however - a 6month music production course will cost around £2000 and a Audio Engineering Degree Programme (BA (Hons) Recording Arts) will cost around £15,000 (for 24 months)

i might very well be attending the open day myself James, so if you fancy meeting up there or something, lemme know :smile:

http://www.sae.edu/home/pics/UK/pics/FM205.jpg

http://www.sae.edu/home/pics/UK/pics/audio3.jpg

-={SAE HOME PAGE}=-

Damn, sorry @Mark, only just seen your post ! (20 years later ...), it would have been great to hook up as well.   

How is your music production going these days ?

James@ClubTheWorld.uk
CTW AdminClubTheWorld.uk | Twitter | Instagram
ctw_post_signature_small.gif
Clubbing the world, together ...

• CTW Admin

FYI - I've created a list of music production courses I've found useful here

James@ClubTheWorld.uk
CTW AdminClubTheWorld.uk | Twitter | Instagram
ctw_post_signature_small.gif
Clubbing the world, together ...