bank charges

• CTW Moderators

has anyone here been through the process of claiming back all the bank chargs taken from you for going over your overdraft limit or bounced direct debits?

i have just been through all my statements since i opened my current account and my bank has took off me an excess of £437.00 just because i went over drawn by like 10 quid because money hadnt gone into my account on time or purely by accident and for a couple of direct debits which didnt go out my account but still get charged for. its utterly ridiculous that each time i had £35.00 taken off me for something that was for less than that.

im going to claim back all thats owed to me and change my account.

🎧20,000 Hardcore members,  I say the future is ours🎧

LOADS of people have done it and have gotten 80% of the amount claimed, back. It was on Radio1 today also. You can only claim as far back as 6 years AFAIK. My boyfriend is currently in the process of claiming back £3.5k of charges going back 6 years for Charges going over your Overdraft and for DD charges. Of course, I agree that if you've not got the money in the bank to cover the DDs and you go over your Overdraft, then it's your own fault and you should manage your money better, but to get charged £30+ for the shortage of £1 or 1p is absolutely fucking disgusting, so yes, I think it's only fair they give back the money they charge because it really is appauling, the fuckin greed of money and charges in this country, quite frankly fucking stinks.

Thankfully, I've never had a charge in my life, I don't have an overdraft and I never will have one as I don't want one and I don't need one. You're balance of claim is quite low, Dani, so I can bet on it you'll get every penny back. Keep us updated. :)

• CTW Members

im quite interested in this theory also. i dont know how to go about it though. i have been charged in the past for going overdraft a couple of quid but ive also been service charged for unknown reasons... randomly it cost me like £11 for service charge and ive no idea what it was... ive not been to any bank machines that charge a pound fifty or anythin like that.

idiots though. im unhappy about charges i dont know about.

Domo, all you need to do is call into your bank or phone them up and ask them to send you your bank statements going back the last 6 years. This does incur a charge between £5-£10, then, all you need know and do is covered in this link,.

• CTW Members

I've been meaning to send my bank the standard letter you can download and change the bits relevant to you. I'm looking at getting back over £2k but I keep forgetting to print the letter and send it off.

Must do it when I get to work before the banks change their rules and refuse to pay up.

Maria, you dont have to have your statements, all you gotta do is ring the Finacial Ombudsmen on 0845 080 1800 and give them your details and they will sort out the rest...thats what I've been told anyway. X

right here is a really good website

http://www.moneysavingexpert.com/cgi-bin/v...,24632#nutshell

ok first you do need to get all the charges from your bank first, write a letter asking for a copy of all the charges you have incurred since opening your account or in the past 6 years there is a template for that on the above website.

second when they reply go through it properly and if any are for going over drawn or unpaid direct debits then they are the ones you need to highlight

then there is step by step on what to do and with letter templates on the above website so just read that

to everyone else mine is very low i know that but to me for what i earn and pay out it is a lot and if i can get this before i have the baby its all going on my little girl so will come i very handy.

• CTW Members

Click here to see how people from DSI have done it and get all the required info you need.

Sorry about advertising another clubbing site on here James.

Here is the original BBC news article that has all the standard letters as well, I'm definitely gonna have to sort this out ASAP. I could do with £2k.

lol tell me about it i have another charge about to go out of another 30 quid cause my wages went in a day late because of the banks electronic systems between her bank and mine and it was because of the banks own loan payment

the site i used does recommend opening a new account before hand as some banks close your account.

ive been meaning to for ages so may have that on the agender for this week as im not due back at work till wednesday

Iv just avoided the bank charge problem but this deffo wasn't my fault !

BACS wage paying computer want down & thousands of people wern't payed yesterday :angry:

great timing for me because I need euro's to go away over easter

you should still be able to draw out over the counter according to the news who had warned people wednesday and thursday the systems had gone down.

and they said money would be in by monday/ tuesday at the latest and that if you needed money over the weekend you could get it over the counter as the banks can see the money is going in.

you have a whole week to get euros

You WON'T get charged because your money has gone in late, all banks are / were aware of the BACS fuck up and have stated on the News / Radio / Papers that any charges you get because of the late pay going in, you get it refunded.

Jeez, don't any of you listen to the news at all ? ;)

• CTW Members

As far as I'm concerned, if its not 'in my face' then it dont effect me. I get paid on wednesdays anyway. lol