Interview with Vicky Devine

Zoelee

• CTW Members

Vicky Devine has been involved in music in some capacity throughout most of her life. She is rapidly becoming known as one of the most talented female DJ/Producers within the current UK dance scene - Wowing fans worldwide with her uplifting yet driving trance sets and impressing people just much on the production front.

With Ibiza season just around the corner I caught up with Vicky to find out what plans she has for the Summer andwhether she's excited about heading back for her residency at Judgement Sundays.

So, tell us what you have been up to this year. Has it been a good one?

My year started off in India where I did a new years eve gig in Goa right on the beach which was amazing. Have been non stop since then really with gigs at Gatecrasher, The Syndicate, Pams House, Tranzaction and for an MTV party to name but a few. I’ve also had a guest mix and interview on Eddie Halliwells show on Radio One in February, and I’ve been spending a lot of time in the studio and have quite a few tracks coming out over the coming months – so I’ve been a busy bee!!!!!!

Your first solo production – “Entravanse” was signed in 2006 and got a fantastic response. Things have been going very well on the production front for you since then. Have you been in the studio recently? Tell all ….

vicky1.jpg

Yes I was really pleased with the response to Entravanse as that had been my first ever solo production and the first time I had been in the studio for a few years up until then. I was also very pleased with my second release – Echoed Kisses which I had even more support on. I finished some tracks late last year which have just been remixed – Silver Whispers and Eternal Dream so am excited to see what will happen with both of those. I have also recently done my own remix of a Solstice track called Edge of the Ocean which is being released on Solarstone’s new label “Insatiable Records” which is wicked. And then literally just last week I was back in the studio working on another track which I haven’t even named yet!!!

And have there been any collaborations you are excited about?

I have been talking to a few people about possible collaborations for the future and am excited about some of the possibilities on the horizon although can’t go into that too much at the moment. In terms of remixes I have been really fortunate that a number of excellent artists have worked on my tracks so far including Andy Bagguley, Paul Kershaw and Ian Betts. And I hope to work with all of those again in the future also.

If you really had to choose between DJing or production which one do you think you would opt for?

My first love is DJing and always will be. I do love being in the studio also, and it is obviously a really important part of a DJ’s career to be producing their own tracks nowadays, but there is nothing better than being in a packed club playing amazing tunes!!!!

You have been Djing for quite a while now and seen plenty of changes in the club scene. Where do you think it’s at right now?

After a few years when I feel the scene had a big dip, I definitely feel that things are on an up at the moment. The bigger nights seem to be doing really well. Promoters, Dj’s and the actual clubbers all seem to have a new lease of life and are putting extra effort into things again. Obviously with music such as electro going into the mainstream its brought clubbing back into the mainstream also and the whole industry seems to have much more of a positive vibe about it compared to a few years ago. Its great to see and I can’t wait to see what happens this season in Ibiza also.

I read somewhere that you have tried you hand at scratching…How’s it coming along?

Hahaha – where did you read that? Its true actually – I’ve got my QBert teach yourself how to scratch DVD. My best friend Dan is really wicked at scratching and he’s tried to teach me a few times also but I have to say I don’t find it easy. I have much respect for Eddie Halliwell when I see what he can do hence the reason that I would be a little bit scared to try anything outside of my four walls – especially if I was following him at Judgement Sundays!!!!

Festival season is fast approaching us. Have you played many festival dates and are you partial to a party in the park?

I played in the Slinky arena at The Slammin Vinyl Westfest a few years ago which was fantastic. I was supposed to play an early set, but they had to change a few DJ’s around and I ended up with a 2am slot which was incredible as the arena was rammed. I would really love to do more festivals but I haven’t been able to do any for the past few years due to my Ibiza commitments which basically means I miss them all!!!!!! I absolutely love being at big outdoor events and I think you can’t beat the atmosphere that you get in a massive tent with thousands of clubbers so really am gutted that I don’t get to go to the summer festivals.

vicky2.jpg

You have had guest mixes and interviews on a few major radio stations do you think that’s something you’d like to get into more or would you rather stick to being a special guest!?

Well its always great to be asked to be a special guest on someone’s show and I do do as many guest mixes as I can, but I have also done quite a lot of my own Radio work as well. I co-presented a weekly radio show in Ibiza a few years back on Holiday FM based out on the island and I have also been an Ibiza Correspondent for Fire 107.6FM (based in Bournemouth), Kiss 100 and Galaxy FM where I basically did reports from the island with updates of what was going on and some interviews with DJ’s. I love doing Radio and will definitely be doing some more stuff in Ibiza this year and would definately hope to keep doing things in the future also.

So it’s Ibiza time again. How would you go about persuading someone to go that isn’t quite sure?

Why would anyone need to be persuaded???!!!!!!!!!! Lol – god I don’t even know where to start. I have lived and worked on the island every summer for the past 6 years and every year I just love it even more. Its got everything – sun, beaches, excellent restaurants and obviously most importantly just about every top DJ you can think of playing in some of the best clubs in the world!!!! You can basically party and listen to music 24 / 7 if you want to – it’s a clubbers paradise – a very very special place indeed.

There will be a big Indie presence in the back room at Judgement Sundays at Eden. Are you a fan and do you think this will work well there?

I don’t know much about Indie music to be honest, but I do know that you need new ideas injected into the nights out there to keep them fresh and obviously different to the previous years and am looking forward to seeing the back room at Judgement this year.

vickybacklights.jpg

And who are you most looking forward to hearing in the back room?

Well when I eventually yank myself out of the main room where I usually spend most of my night!!! Am really looking forward to seeing Micky Slim as am a big fan of his tracks. I heard on the grapevine that Peaches Geldof might be doing a little set on one of the Indie nights in there at some stage in the season………. although not sure how true that is… She did a little DJ stint at Bar M last year and I have been told she plays new wave rave so am intrigued!!!

What else are you up to in Ibiza this year and do you find it’s important to give yourself new challenges there each year to keep things ‘fresh’?

I will still be doing my own night “Charlys Angelz” which is an all female DJ event I do every Saturday at Play 2 in collaboration with femaledjs.com. I have been running the night on the island now since 2001 and I am pleased to say that so far it has always been a really big success. We cover all types of music starting with house and electro and then moving through trance and into hard dance, and have had most of the female Dj’s that you can think of playing down there at some point over the past 6 years. It’s a wicked little night that I love doing. I am also resident at another all female DJ night called Angels of Funk at BCM over in Majorca every Friday night so I do a bit of island hopping every weekend!!! This year as well as myself we have Radio One’s Mistress de Funk playing there which I am really looking forward to. Anyone that has been to BCM will know it is an absolutely amazing club and I just love playing there. I’ve got a few other things in the pipeline to keep me busy in the week and obviously the radio stuff I mentioned before.

Finally a few quickfire questions for you!?

Your hot tip for Ibiza this year?

The Radio One Weekender – always amazing!

One thing you would take on a desert Island with you!?

My boyfriend – well a girl has her needs!!!

An 80’s tune you’d love to remix?

S Express – I know its already been done, but it’s the first tune I ever bought on vinyl and its still an amazing record!

What’s in your car stereo at the moment?

Prodigy – music for the jilted generation!! I moved recently and dug out a lot of older stuff. This Album is one of my all time favourites and is timeless!

Thanks a lot Vicky. Look forward to hearing you out and about soon.

Thankyou Zoe – look forward to having a Vodka or ten with you in Ibiza this summer!!!