"hard dance" ... can someone explain?

• CTW Members

I've heard of hard trance & hard house.

So, er, what is "hard dance"? I've heard the term bandied around increasingly of late, but I haven't quite worked out what it is!

Are you not supposed to dance to hard trance or hard house? smile.gif

My personal suspicion: it's a way of pretending that hard house has actually evolved a bit by giving the same thing a new name. baby.gifwink.gif

Someone explain please! smile.gif

• CTW Members

Personally I have always assumed that the scientific equation for "hard dance" is:

Hard house + Hard trance = Hard dance

(Hh1) + (Ht2) = Hd3

LOL! laugh.giflaugh.giflaugh.gif Thats just my thoughts anyway! banghead.gif

• CTW Members

I believe HardDance is a general term for

Hardhouse/Hardtrance/Hardcore etc....

• CTW Members

Cool, I think I'm going to make up some new genres in that case! thumbs.gif

handbag + techno = techbag

progressive rock + jazz = prazz

Jewish rap + gabba + triphop = rabbi rabba hop

• Haha 1

• CTW Members

personally i think it's a much easier way of describing a lot of the tunes out there today, a lot of them have elements of different generes, so maybe you'd have a hard house tune that had some elements of Hard trance in there, so instead of calling it something silly like hard housey Trance (which lets face it sounds a bit silly) you call it hard dance.

This is just what i think however. And as i am normally wrong it's best to ignore me, lol

you need me i'm magic E, hehe

• CTW Reviewers

Hard Dance was a genre invented by DJ Mag around the time of last June/July time.

As more and more of the harder edged dance genres started incorporating elements from other genres (such as techno with vocals! eek.gif), lazy arsed magazine journalists found it was easier to invent a new genre of music rather than attempt to pigeonhole records into existing ones.

As a result of this, many of the major labels embraced the term hard dance. Indeed, Nukleuz now lists itself as a hard dance label, and Tidy Trax started Tidy Two simply to deal with the crossover hard house/hard trance/nu-techno tracks that producers like Riot Bros were putting out.

Also, whilst were on the subject of inventing new genres;

Drum and Bag - cheesy drum and bass with lots of vocals in order to secure a chart position.

Harder. Faster. Better. Stronger. Badder. Smarter. Wub Wub

• CTW Members

always thought hard dance was like ian van dahl but im prob wrong cos its actually quite cheesy!!! maybe its just a combo of dance music wiv erm. cheese???

Id say that was commercial dance!!

You Can Never Have Too Much Of A Good Thing :wink:
It'd Be Rude Not 2!! *I Need A Tissue*
MSN: Claire___DC @hotmail.com  Email: clairedc @ dsl .pipex .com

• CTW Promotors

Def commercial cheese!!!

Hard Dance is more like ........

BK - Revolution

BK - Wanna Ride

Lee Haslam - Music is the Drug

etc

INCISION Leeds - 23rd Jan - Passion Records Tour Night!!
Email: 
sarah@clubtheworld.com
MSN: pvcsarah@hotmail.com
Speed it UP - PLEASE!

• CTW Members

As more and more of the harder edged dance genres started incorporating elements from other genres (such as techno with vocals! ), lazy arsed magazine journalists found it was easier to invent a new genre of music rather than attempt to pigeonhole records into existing ones.

its not them being lazy - its them using some initiative and actually labeling tunes that cant really be defined as 1 or the other as its creative enuf to blend genres yet stay hard

hard dance imo is nethin that crosses over more than 1 genre yet remains hard - that simple

the sad thing is, hard dance and hard trance seem to be interchangeable and that imo is just not right thumbsdown.gif

Mr Happy's fishy fish MangaFish munch munch

MSN & e-mail - mangafish@mangafish.net
AOL - MangaMorgan
Online mixes - http://www.mangafish.net/mixes/

• CTW Members

Who gives a [censored] anyway

Indeed, as long as u like the damn music who gives a fook what its called tongue.gif

You Can Never Have Too Much Of A Good Thing :wink:
It'd Be Rude Not 2!! *I Need A Tissue*
MSN: Claire___DC @hotmail.com  Email: clairedc @ dsl .pipex .com