***** 2nd CTW Forum Hack *****

• CTW Promotors
digitalliquid said:

Isn't it reasonable to assume that in deleting the forums, in such an obvious manner, the hacker wasn't a "pro" as, if they were, surely the information potentially available would have been used in a more subtle/catastrophic way. i.e. blanket e.mail virus to the community or placing a virus within the web page itself? (I'm assuming the admin control panel gives full rights/access to files etc)

It's just a thought but, perhaps, CTW and the Community got off lightly with an opportunist who wasn't technically able to do anything more than push delete !

It's just a thought......

......who ever did it should have their hard drives inserted up their rectum - now that would be MUCH better than a toy car in a condom (JA the movie)

Steve

banghead.gif

my thoughts exactly!! thumbs.gif

Techno, Techno, Techno

• Replies 120
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Days

Top Posters In This Topic

• CTW Members
Scream said:

could of been guessed. Always a possibility. Don't rule it out just cus it looks far fetched. I mean they never though two jets would crash into the wtc but it did.

if you start ruling things out like that then you're only setting yourself up for a fall.

Ok, but making it longer doesn't necessarilly make it harder to guess if people still use dictionary words or words related to themselved in some way. How would YOU go about guessing someone's password ?

Fred The Baddie
Email: FredTheBaddie at ClubTheWorld dot com
MSN: Fox_Raynard at hotmail dot com
I am not part of any majority
-- Now in my MP3 player : Agnelli & Nelson - Holding on to Nothing --

• CTW Members

guessing someones password is pretty simple really. like you mentioned earlier about the football, and how men use their teams. you just do a bit of research into that person and take educated guesses. As most people don't like using passwords that are to complicated as they will forget them easily.

like i said though mate alphanumeric they are a lot harder to guess. that's why i said alphanumeric characters. undecided.gif

Edited by Scream

• CTW Members
FredTheBaddie said:

Scream said:

could of been guessed. Always a possibility. Don't rule it out just cus it looks far fetched. I mean they never though two jets would crash into the wtc but it did.

if you start ruling things out like that then you're only setting yourself up for a fall.

Ok, but making it longer doesn't necessarilly make it harder to guess if people still use dictionary words or words related to themselved in some way. How would you go about guessing someone's password ?

Scream suggested Alphanumeric passwords, a minimum of 8 characters long. Should make the password protection a little more secure from guessing.

I don't do much on this planet, but David Blaine has taught me that I could do less!!

• CTW Promotors

could have a virus on the server like bugbear or someone like a moderater used a internet cafe and not logged of properly or the cafe has a virus which some hacker might use to get info as am sure hackers are not that stupid to log on to a web site and then hack it there more likely to put the virus on a internet cafe and then pop back to get the required info they need to use at home

• CTW Promotors
Scream said:

guessing someones password is pretty simple really. like you mentioned earlier about the football, and how men use their teams. you just do a bit of research into that person and take educated guesses. As most people don't like using passwords that are to complicated as they will forget them easily.

like i said though mate alphanumeric they are a lot harder to guess. that's why i said alphanumeric characters. undecided.gif

Wake up, the password wasn't guessed or hacked.

CreamyC™
Email:
CreamyC@ClubTheWorld.uk
MSN: CreamyCTW@Hotmail.com
Mobile: 07956 462 642 (T-Mobile)

• CTW Members
Scouse said:

could have a virus on the server like bugbear or someone like a moderater used a internet cafe and not logged of properly or the cafe has a virus which some hacker might use to get info as am sure hackers are not that stupid to log on to a web site and then hack it there more likely to put the virus on a internet cafe and then pop back to get the required info they need to use at home

As far as I know the server runs on Linux. So it's pretty unlikely there's a virus.

Scream, I thought you meant allowed alphnumeric rather than required alphanumeric.

Fred The Baddie
Email: FredTheBaddie at ClubTheWorld dot com
MSN: Fox_Raynard at hotmail dot com
I am not part of any majority
-- Now in my MP3 player : Agnelli & Nelson - Holding on to Nothing --

• CTW Members
CreamyC said:

Scream said:

kev if you bothered to read the previous posts this was in question to Ray's question to how would you go about it. I also mentioned not to rule it out. These are just approaches you take when something of this nature happens. Instead of being a cocky bastard, learn to read and you might learn something, eh!

• CTW Moderators
Scouse said:

Why NOW, though ?

• CTW Members
FredTheBaddie said:

Scouse said:

As far as I know the server runs on Linux. So it's pretty unlikely there's a virus.

Scream, I thought you meant allowed alphnumeric rather than required alphanumeric.

oh right, tis ok mate smile.gif

• CTW Members
CreamyC said:

Scream is suggesting future proofing the forum. If the person wanted to try and do this again, guessing a simple password wouldn't be that much of a challenge. Setting a password that is difficult to guess should prevent any future half arsed attempts on the site.

I don't do much on this planet, but David Blaine has taught me that I could do less!!

• CTW Members
Scream said:

if it wasn't hacked then why is this thread called 2nd CTW Forum Hack?? confused.gif

has someone been silly and accidently deleted the db?

It seems to be that someone got a hold of James's password (by whatever means!?) and proceeded to delete the forums.

The suggestion of better passwords is a good idea, as the person's deliberate attempt to ruin the site failed. They may want to try again in the future by trying to guess the password and delete the boards again, but if it's as you suggested the alphanumeric system this would make it near impossible for them to succeed, so long as they are inexperienced.