need help

BenRW

• CTW Members

basically have recently got a djm600 and all is fine and dandy, til tonight i tried to record a mix

as soon as i plug nething into the djm that is connected to my laptop i get a horrible noise problem coming out my main speakers irrespective of any volume levels on my mixer

connections include: record or monitor out to inputs on my laptop, and outputs from my laptop into one of my mixer channels

is this a common problem, or something unheard of?

and how can i fix it if i can?

thanks people

I was going to post a gag about flagellation, necrophilia and bestiality but it's just flogging a dead horse.

• CTW Members

what are you hooking it up to?

The Record Outs (RCA plugs)

The Master output (XLR plugs)

The Master output (RCA plugs)

The Booth monitor (RCA plugs)

you mention the record and the monitor, so that should be fine

it may be worth checking you dont have any CD players or your computer input on a turntable channel on the mixer (I have done this once), and that the turntables are earthed properly.

If everything is right and the buzz is still there then I dunno, you could try recording out of the regular master out or even the booth monitor (just watch the level as it is independant to what you will be hearing), but if you just brought it, everything should work, so I would be taking it back.

Good luck!

Edited by Dance Music Society

• CTW Members
QUOTE (benrostwood @ Sep 1 2004, 23:22)
as soon as i plug nething into the djm that is connected to my laptop i get a horrible noise problem coming out my main speakers

Have you tried loading a different CD instead of Aphex Twin?

• CTW Members

1. Please describe your setup more accurately. (What plugs into what!)

2. Please describe what you mean by a 'horrible noise'. High-pitched, low-pitched, white noise, feedback, ground hum...?

The two things that usually cause horrible noise are feedback loops and ground hum (where you haven't earthed your turntables).

• CTW Members
QUOTE (benrostwood @ Sep 1 2004, 23:22)
connections include: record or monitor out to inputs on my laptop, and outputs from my laptop into one of my mixer channels

Are you sure you're not creating a feedback loop where the sound goes out of the mixer, into the PC, back into the mixer, etc... ? It would be an unpleasant 'screaming' noise rather than white noise.

• CTW Members

I had the same problem with my laptop and my DJM600. Turns out that it's the laptop when it's charging. Try hooking it all up when the lappy is running on batteries ... should clear the fault. It seems to be interference from the charger that causes the 'hummm'.

If it's not that, it could be the headphone jack on your lappy that's a bit lame - causing a crap connection with the phono lead.

• CTW Members
QUOTE (Nick G @ Sep 2 2004, 18:23)
I had the same problem with my laptop and my DJM600. Turns out that it's the laptop when it's charging. Try hooking it all up when the lappy is running on batteries ... should clear the fault. It seems to be interference from the charger that causes the 'hummm'.
If it's not that, it could be the headphone jack on your lappy that's a bit lame - causing a crap connection with the phono lead.

cheers

was the problem with my charger

damn, not sure my laptop battery lasts for a whole cds worth so may not be able to record mixes

only one way to find out tho

I was going to post a gag about flagellation, necrophilia and bestiality but it's just flogging a dead horse.

• CTW Members
QUOTE (benrostwood @ Sep 3 2004, 09:41)
QUOTE (Nick G @ Sep 2 2004, 18:23)

cheers

was the problem with my charger

damn, not sure my laptop battery lasts for a whole cds worth so may not be able to record mixes

only one way to find out tho

Glad to be of assistance.

You should be able to get a 60 minute mix out of your battery easily .... 80 mins would be pushing it though wink.gif