Allen & Heath Xone 62

LiquidEyes

• CTW Members

It's bloody expensive but I'm giving some serious thought to buying one of these. My old mixer is playing up a bit, and besides I've fancied moving up to a 3- or 4-channel mixer for a while now.

The specs all look great on paper (4 channels, aux sends, assignable crossfader -- basically everything I'm looking for) and I've read that the build quality is excellent. Plus the filters are a bonus.

My only gripe at this stage is a superficial one -- it could look a bit cooler! baz.gif

Any comments?

Has anybody used one before?

Can anybody suggest a cheaper alternative with similar specs?

The other main contender was the Ecler SMAC Pro 40 -- fewer bells and whistles but highly reputable and a bit cheaper. However Turnkey say it's been discontinued now. sad.gif

• CTW Members

My mate has just bought one and he loves it.

It's a bit tricky to set up I think compared to a DJM 600- i.e. you can change the setting so that you can or or can't mix in the headphones.

You can isolate effects according to the tops, middles etc which sounds pretty cool.

They look fucking superb when the lights are off.

If I was upgrading from my DJM600 then I would DEFINITELY go for one of these...

• CTW Members

If I could afford it, I would love to have one of these.

My mates got one and it really is nice to use.

One thing I would say about this, (which i've just mentioned to LE on msn) is that my mate got one when they first came out, and recently he has had trouble with the sound dropping out of the live or in the cans.

From what i remember this was a design fault and allen & heath have fixed that now.

• CTW Members
QUOTE (russelldust @ Sep 2 2004, 11:16)
If I was upgrading from my DJM600 then I would DEFINITELY go for one of these...

So out of interest, why did you go for the DJM 600? (similar specs, similar price)

The Xone 62 does seem to have a bit more 'bang for buck'; is the DJM 600 basically just expensive because of the brand name?

I did look into getting a DJM 500 or 600, but I've heard mixed reports. A lot of people say the knobs get a bit wobbly after a bit of use (!) and that the sound quality is nowhere near as good as the Xone 62. Though whether the difference in pre-amp quality would be really noticeable in a home environment is debatable...?

How do you find the DJM 600 Russ? (I know I've tried it but I wasn't really paying much attention to the mixer!!) smile.gif It can't be that bad since a lot of clubs supposedly use it!

• CTW Members
QUOTE (LiquidEyes @ Sep 2 2004, 12:39)
QUOTE (russelldust @ Sep 2 2004, 11:16)

So out of interest, why did you go for the DJM 600? (similar specs, similar price)

The Xone 62 does seem to have a bit more 'bang for buck'; is the DJM 600 basically just expensive because of the brand name?

I did look into getting a DJM 500 or 600, but I've heard mixed reports. A lot of people say the knobs get a bit wobbly after a bit of use (!) and that the sound quality is nowhere near as good as the Xone 62. Though whether the difference in pre-amp quality would be really noticeable in a home environment is debatable...?

How do you find the DJM 600 Russ? (I know I've tried it but I wasn't really paying much attention to the mixer!!) smile.gif It can't be that bad since a lot of clubs supposedly use it!

I've got a DJM600 at the mo. It's a nice little mixer with the potential to expand it (with external fx units etc) if you wish. I've had it for a couple of years now and have had no problems with it at all - quite a solid little unit in my opinion. If I were upgrading, the Xone 62 would be the one I'd get (unless funds weren't limited - then I'd go for a rotary Rane). I've used the 62 a few times and quite honestly it's a pleasure to use - if feels so much more precise than the Pioneer ... and I prefer the filters on it too wink.gif

Definitely worth taking a trip to a shop for a demo of it - I think you'll be pleased with the results

• CTW Members

Cool. Cheers for the advice guys.

I did think to myself when reading certain customer reviews online, I suspect some people are overstating their issues with the build quality of the DJM. After all, it seems to be pretty widely used so it can't be that bad. baz.gif

Nevertheless it looks like the Xone 62 is the one for me, on paper at least. smile.gif I will definitely try it out in a shop.

Time to fork out that second mortgage! Why oh why are DJ mixers so expensive... rolleyes.gif

• CTW Members

It looks the the centre control point of a Nuclear Power Station!

Bet its the biz tho!