What are the best needles/stylus to get.

Mr Moo

• CTW Members

LOL. What FX has it got?

• Replies 35
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• CTW Members

Ahh, if you want FX and don't already have something external, I suppose the DJM might be better for you. smile.gif

The Xone:62 has great filters (any combination of high/low/band pass -- by combining HP & LP you effectively have a sort of flange too) but that's your lot.

It has aux send however, so I'm linking mine to my existing external FX unit. thumbsup.gif

• CTW Members

• CTW DJs

Drew, personally I would go for one of the "concorde style" cartridges. The reason being, the sound quality is better overall as all the connections are internal. Therefore making them easier to maintain. In my experience I have found that the stylus (needle) tend to last longer, and do not budge in the groove. I have found that i much prefer the look and feel of ortofon concordes rather than stanton though.

I would either go for the Ortofon Pro S

user posted image

Or The Ortofon DJ S

user posted image

I use the 2nd pair, have had them for 3 years and have replaced the stylus once. The 1st set cost roughly £30-£40 each, and the 2nd £40-£50 each.

LiamStyles
Bet you look good on the dancefloor
*LiamStyles - mixes on rotation*
Current mix "No Concept Of Time" CLICK HERE

• CTW Members

Liam -- see my post on page 1 -- have you got any idea about the trade-off between "competition" cartridges versus "hip hop" cartridges? (to use Stanton's terminology)

• CTW DJs

TBH Andy, most hip hop or scratch DJs I know all use the range of scratch cartridges made by "Sure". They are well reguarded as the best cartridge for scratching and heavy handed DJs. However their life span is reduced quite a bit due to the fact that despite all the specs, better tracking means more weight over the needle (within the design of the actual cartridge as appose to adjusted weight on the tone arm)

Stanton seemed to jump on the bandwagon and released a few "hip hop DJ needles" but the fact that any credible hip hop dj still buys a sure cartridge kinda tells the story. Ortofon make club cartridges (for DJs like us) I dont think they have made a hip hop style cart to date.

LiamStyles

• CTW Members

They look sexy as fuck Liam!

• CTW DJs

They are deffo worth the investment mate, and like you said, they just make your decks look sexy as fuck lol!

LiamStyles

• 2 weeks later...
  • CTW DJs

Hi drew - nice seein ya yesterday and THANKS FOR MY CONTACTS !!!

anyway, needles...

Having painstakingly examined EVERY SINGLE bit of analytical data for all the needles (stanton/concord/technics/ortofon etc etc) I deduced that, if you have 1210's, 1200's or any Technics 1200 range for that matter, the technics ones are best at about £40 quid each, with cart and stylus.

If you examine the frequency range of all the available needles, none of them, even the fookin expensive ones, match the range given by the technics which also have one of the highest outputs too..

Have a look in a dj mag where you can compare the spec of those available and, I think you'll see what I mean..

See you soon Dude. grin.gif

Steve

• CTW DJs

Hi drew - nice seein ya yesterday and THANKS FOR MY CONTACTS !!!

anyway, needles...

Having painstakingly examined EVERY SINGLE bit of analytical data for all the needles (stanton/concord/technics/ortofon etc etc) I deduced that, if you have 1210's, 1200's or any Technics 1200 range for that matter, the technics ones are best at about £40 quid each, with cart and stylus.

If you examine the frequency range of all the available needles, none of them, even the fookin expensive ones, match the range given by the technics which also have one of the highest outputs too..

Have a look in a dj mag where you can compare the spec of those available and, I think you'll see what I mean..

See you soon Dude. grin.gif

Steve

• CTW Members

DL,

Are you judging the needles solely on their quoted technical specs, or on actual experience/reviews?

If you're just looking at the specs, isn't that a trifle naive? Furthermore, it hardly guarantees good tracking ability, which is more than just a function of the 'downforce'...?

• CTW Members

Good seeing you to mate!

Ill take that onboard!

Guest DJ_Graeme_Black

For messing about on at home I just use Stanton 500's. They only cost around £20 so I'm not paranoid about setting strangers loose on my turntables at parties.

• CTW Promotors
QUOTE (DJ_Graeme_Black @ Sep 24 2004, 17:05)
For messing about on at home I just use Stanton 500's. They only cost around £20 so I'm not paranoid about setting strangers loose on my turntables at parties.

well you play out alot do you scratchy.gifscratchy.gifscratchy.gifscratchy.gif

Techno, Techno, Techno