what or who first got you into mixing?

betty boop

• CTW Members

Back at uni, I went round to the house of a mate of a mate, who knew I was into dance music and so let me try out his CD decks.

I was INSTANTLY addicted. (Even though I was shit at first!) grin.gif

I had already been a bit of a CD singles buyer (gradually getting into more 'underground' dance music). A few weeks later I took the plunge and bought some 2nd hand CD decks (which were crap, but you have to start somewhere).

I gradually came to the realisation that the best tunes were only available on vinyl, and that vinyl was the 'proper' way to mix, so when I got my first decent-paying full-time job a few months later (on my placement year from uni) the first thing I did was save up for turntables.

Buying decks seemed bloody expensive at the time, but it's one of the best decisions I ever made. (Of course the price of the decks pales into significance next to the cost of my ensuing record habit!)

7 years on, since I bought the CD decks, I'm still hooked. throb.gif Just bought myself a new mixer and recently upgraded to a decent CDJ. Now I need to sell some of my crap old records, since I'm running out of space for new ones...

• CTW Members

i think it would have happened eventually, but it was kind of jump started by a mate of mine at school. we were basically the only 2 people into trance at school and we both got decks within a few months of each other (tho i say decks i got cd decks)

I was going to post a gag about flagellation, necrophilia and bestiality but it's just flogging a dead horse.

• CTW Members

Are you sticking to CD mixing then? How long have you been at it, and have you ever been tempted to switch to vinyl?

(Obviously there is less incentive to switch to vinyl nowadays.)

• CTW Members
QUOTE (LiquidEyes @ Sep 6 2004, 09:43)
Are you sticking to CD mixing then? How long have you been at it, and have you ever been tempted to switch to vinyl?

(Obviously there is less incentive to switch to vinyl nowadays.)

that was about 3/4 years ago now i think

never been tempted by vinyl, i saw through all the arguments that vinyl were better ages ago

i am still limited by lack of new material, but that suits my style. Plus i can always buy the vinyl and copy it to cd (which is not illegal as long as u keep the vinyl)

I was going to post a gag about flagellation, necrophilia and bestiality but it's just flogging a dead horse.

• CTW Members
QUOTE (benrostwood @ Sep 6 2004, 11:07)
i am still limited by lack of new material, but that suits my style.

So what is your style? "No new material" style? scratchy.gif

• CTW Members
QUOTE (LiquidEyes @ Sep 6 2004, 11:13)
QUOTE (benrostwood @ Sep 6 2004, 11:07)
i am still limited by lack of new material, but that suits my style.

So what is your style? "No new material" style? scratchy.gif

primarily i play older stuff, with a few newer ones thrown in

the opposite to other djs. But i don't go for the obvious older ones either, i go for the more obscure tracks/mixes

• CTW Members

i get bored of playing older stuff, always have to keep my tunes fresh (money permitting) Tunes have a very short shelf life with me these days.

• 3 weeks later...
  • CTW Members

In short...

Ian Cashman / Mod1 bought decks after years of not having any, and we all just sitting around chiling, and I ask how to do it... etc etc etc. Bought my own...

Blah.

Moo, I am still waiting for my mixes, after I took the time, in being nice, and sending you 2 MD's still in it's packaging. You ****

Was well fun seeing you on the decks at Ians though lol.gif

• CTW Members

You, and everyone can have a cd soon =) Ill send ya mini disks back haha.

Oh, and as for being on the decks @ Ians...

"............................................"

=)