• CTW Members
ClubTheWorld
This post was recognized by ClubTheWorld!

BenRW was awarded the badge 'Conversation Starter' and 10 points.

What wud ne1 recommend

I was going to post a gag about flagellation, necrophilia and bestiality but it's just flogging a dead horse.

• CTW Admin

I am also after some information on production courses in London (specifically on EQing/mastering)

James@ClubTheWorld.uk
CTW AdminClubTheWorld.uk | Twitter | Instagram
ctw_post_signature_small.gif
Clubbing the world, together ...

• CTW Members

I recommend:

1. not bothering with any courses;
  2. getting some half-decent software and mastering it yourself;
  3. if you get the chance, spend some time in the studio with someone who's more experienced than you;
  4. reading magazines and on-line tutorials (there's tons of material out there).
  • Like 1

• CTW Members

i do want to learn it myself but since i've quit uni i told my parents that was something i wud be interested in doing they now are pushing me to do a course. So i have to at least look into it

I was going to post a gag about flagellation, necrophilia and bestiality but it's just flogging a dead horse.

• CTW Members

It depends where u want to live really as to what courses there are.. if ur being pushed into doin a course then u may wana let ur parents know that if its dance music production then generally you have to pay for them and they're not cheap. There's a place in Guildford i know of, i forget its name but i was looking into that and another in Manchester www.s-s-r.com as for the one in Guildford i think @leeharris and @Chris Hawkes are at it so u could ask them!!

I decided to learn myself tho by messing around, asking people i knew who are competent in it, joining forums for production www.serious-sounds.net www.generoproject.com and www.samplecity.net (although i don't go on here because its gotten a bad reputation for its webmaster bein abit of a dick and havin loadsa strict rules but im passing the link on for u to decide for urself)

Try a google search for other tutorials online and seek out magazines like Computer Music, Future Music etc these also have websites that may have some useful info for u!!

Also try to find a sequencer that you are comfortable with and stick with it.. know it inside out rather than knowing a lil bit about a few sequencers and ending up a jack of all trades but a master of none.

• Like 1

You Can Never Have Too Much Of A Good Thing :wink:
It'd Be Rude Not 2!! *I Need A Tissue*
MSN: Claire___DC @hotmail.com  Email: clairedc @ dsl .pipex .com

• CTW Members
On 2/5/2004 at 6:05 PM, Claire DC said:

www.serious-sounds.net www.generoproject.com and www.samplecity.net (although i don't go on here because its gotten a bad reputation for its webmaster bein abit of a dick and havin loadsa strict rules but im passing the link on for u to decide for urself)

Good places to start, also future music and computer music mags have god sites..

Like Claire said Samplecity is run by a twat id forget that 1

• CTW Members
On 2/4/2004 at 4:51 PM, James said:

I am also after some information on production courses in London (specifically on EQing/mastering)

James - have you ever looked into the SAE? (School of Audio Egineering) its where im looking to go after i finished college down here, its based in Islington, they do audio engineering, creative media, electronic music production courses and digital film making.

Their also having an open day on Sunday the 15th @ 12 til 17:00

its not cheap however - a 6month music production course will cost around £2000 and a Audio Engineering Degree Programme (BA (Hons) Recording Arts) will cost around £15,000 (for 24 months)

i might very well be attending the open day myself James, so if you fancy meeting up there or something, lemme know :smile:

http://www.sae.edu/home/pics/UK/pics/FM205.jpg

http://www.sae.edu/home/pics/UK/pics/audio3.jpg

-={SAE HOME PAGE}=-

• Thanks 1

• CTW Members
On 2/5/2004 at 6:05 PM, Claire DC said:

Also try to find a sequencer that you are comfortable with and stick with it.. know it inside out rather than knowin a lil bit about a few sequencers and ending up a jack of all trades but a master of none.

The Deep Cleavaged one has hit the nail on the head. A lot of people end up installing loads of (invariably pirated) programs and pissing around with them all a bit.

Instead, find one you like [and buy it!!] and get to know it inside out. Some of the best tunes have been written on really modest setups.

As a rule, I try no to buy new hard/software unless I feel I've really outgrown what I already have.

• Like 1

• CTW Members
On 2/5/2004 at 9:11 PM, Mark said:

a 6month music production course will cost around £2000 and a Audio Engineering Degree Programme (BA (Hons) Recording Arts) will cost around £15,000 (for 24 months)

If you have lots of spare cash, and you feel like you're at a dead-end producing-wise, then by all means blow it on a course.

But if you're gonna spend that kind of money, you could get a load of nice music gear instead, and spend 6 months getting to know it...

• Like 1

• James changed the title to Music Production Courses