Question to anyone who DJs?

SteveW2k1

• CTW Members

from what little I know about mixing

It is nearly always necessary to alter the tempo so that the song mesh seamlessly - unless the songs have the same rythmn that is!!

Pitch alteration is not essential but sounds good if you can do it.

Someone please feel free to correct me if I am spouting bollocks!!

no sleep 'till bedrock!!

• CTW Members

I thought that altering the tempo would surely alter the pitch also. There are programs such as Cubase etc that allow tempo adjustment while keeping the pitch the same, but I'm not sure if Decks and mixers can do this....

Would be interested to know though [idea]

• CTW DJs

The answer to the question is yes, it is neccessary to alter the pitch so the tunes have the same bpm!

If your playing a tune at say 150 bpm and you want to mix in another track then obviously it has to be at the same bpm or the mix will sound shite!. If when your monitoring the track your mixing in in your headphones and it soundz faster (say 152 bpm) then you need to use the pitch adjustment on the decks to slow the tempo of the track down and thus the bpm.

Welcome to the Darkside!
Jan 31st - The Clinic @ Hendre Hall, Bangor
Feb 7th - North @ Lakota, Bristol

http://www.ppdnet.org/ukscene/images/ukscene.jpg
UK-Scene Website

• CTW Members

I personally use CDJ500's which can pitch shift as you go. I did learn to mix without pitch variable CD player's for three years, so I kinda naturally listen for tracks that will mesh well without external adjustment.

Dakers
Email & MSN: pdb_1@hotmail.com
Mob: 07788 133678
Only Smart-E's have the answer!

• CTW Members

quote:

Originally posted by Ikon:

The answer to the question is yes, it is neccessary to alter the pitch so the tunes have the same bpm!

If your playing a tune at say 150 bpm and you want to mix in another track then obviously it has to be at the same bpm or the mix will sound shite!. If when your monitoring the track your mixing in in your headphones and it soundz faster (say 152 bpm) then you need to use the pitch adjustment on the decks to slow the tempo of the track down and thus the bpm.

What if the tunes have far apart bmp rates wont this mean that the track will either sound really speeded up or really slowed down?

• CTW Reviewers

Generally speaking, if you have to alter the pitch by mre than 10% either way, the two songs shouldn't be mixed together. In a typical set of hard house/trance that I play, I'll remain inside the same +/-6% boundary, roughly, assuming I've picked my songs correctly.

Harder. Faster. Better. Stronger. Badder. Smarter. Wub Wub

• CTW Members

Exactly. There's a lot more to mixing than just getting the beats in time. So much of it is song selection.

When I mix it's all about the whole rather than each song, I like to feel I'm taking people on a journey. Maybe that's just my prog house roots coming out tho [Well Happy]

Fred The Baddie
Email: FredTheBaddie at ClubTheWorld dot com
MSN: Fox_Raynard at hotmail dot com
I am not part of any majority
-- Now in my MP3 player : Agnelli & Nelson - Holding on to Nothing --

• CTW Reviewers

quote:

Originally posted by Fred The Baddie:

When I mix it's all about the whole rather than each song, I like to feel I'm taking people on a journey. Maybe that's just my prog house roots coming out tho
[Well Happy]

Prog house - soundtrack to the offical 2002 Commonwealth Paint Drying Finals

Harder. Faster. Better. Stronger. Badder. Smarter. Wub Wub